I love this recipe! Wednesdays are usually crazy days at the Jones house. We don't get home until late in the evening so crock pot recipes are a great go-to-meal! And since it is getting cooler outside beef stew sounds really good!!! :)
This recipe usually takes 20-30 minutes for prep time and serves about 5-6 people.
Salt and Pepper (generously)
3 lbs of beef for stew, like chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
3 T olive oil
1 large onion, cut in half and sliced thin
3 cups of beef broth
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 bay leaf
1/2 t whole black peppercorns (I omit this part but you might like it with them:) )
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 t dried thyme
2 cups of frozen peas
1 T minced fresh parsley
1. Lightly spray slow cooker with cooking spray
2. Salt and pepper the beef. Heat the olive oil on medium high and then brown the meat in it in batches. Remove the meat and then add the onion to the pan and cook until soft. Remove the onion from the pan. Pour 1 cup of the beef broth into the pan, bring to a simmer, and scrape off any brown particles. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Layer the carrots, potatoes, and cooked onions in the slow cooker. Top with the browned beef, bay leaf, and black peppercorns. In a mixing bowl, combine the liquid from the skillet, the remaining 2 cups of broth, the tomato sauce, and thyme. Pour over the meat and vegetables.
4. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until beef and vegetables are fork tender.
5. Stir in the peas 15 to 20 minutes before serving and cook on high. Add salt to taste. Stir in parsley before serving!
Then eat up before it is all gone!!